kleines Logo

Chronology ...

Count Wale

vor 986
Founded as a House of Canonesses by Count Wale and his wife Odelinth The first abbess was probably their daughter Mechthildis.

986
Earliest recorded reference on the occasion of a donation by Otto III, King of Saxony.

1255
Earliest introduction of the Benedictine rule.

1482
Renewed introduction of the Benedictine rule by Anna von Nassau, daughter-in-law of Duke Friedrich the Elder of Brunswick and Luneburg.

1482
Fire caused by a lightning strike destroys most of the monastery. Documents, art treasures, furnishings and equipment are destroyed.

1483
The stained glass windows of the Nuns' Choir are made in Luneburg and fitted to the church. They still exist in their original form today.

1528
Duke Ernst the Confessor of Brunswick introduces the Lutheran Reformation. For many years, the Convent refuses to accept the new confession.

1570
The Convent is fully Lutheran.

1699
Duke Georg Wilhelm decrees that all places in the monastery are to be reserved for aristocratic women.

1711
In contrast with other Luneburg monasteries, places in Walsrode Abbey remain reserved for the daughters of the nobility.

1712
Demolition of the uninhabitable and dilapidated monastery buildings.

1720
Moving into the Long House built on the foundations of the medieval cloister.

Abbesses’ Walkway

1754
The wooden Abbess' Walkway is built on instruction of Abbess Veronika von Pufendorf.
To the end of the century, further residential buildings and outbuildings are built in the monastery grounds.

1812
Napoleonic soldiers occupy the monastery, expelled the ladies of the convent and sell furniture and artefacts. A year later, the ladies return to the plundered monastery.

1842
Abbess von Marschalck established the first Charity School for Girls in Walsrode.

1875
With private funds, Prioress von Stoltzenberg establishes the town's first six-bed hospital in the Lange Straße.

1890
Also paid for from her private funds, Abbess Therese von Plato opened a day-care centre for infants in a specially built house. In the same year, she was given the freedom of the town.

1980
For the first time ever, the monastery is headed by an abbess who is not from the aristocracy.

Abbesses’ Walkway

The stained glass windows of the Nuns' Choir from 1483